If you look back to the 50s, 60s, and 70s, there were a series of board games that were played by everybody. Candy Land, Monopoly, Life, Parcheesi, Sorry, Careers and Clue – you name it and you play it.
The list goes on and on. Whenever you think of playing a board game, these are certainly the first names that will spring on your mind. They’re familiar and nostalgic.
Perfect Board Games for Baby Boomers
Now that the winter season is about to set in again, outdoor activities will again take a backseat and become less appealing. This is the time to take out the board games from the shelf if you wish to play it with your baby boomer friends.
Besides having loads of fun, you will also have to test each other’s knowledge past the few months of lockdown.
Board games have been a classic family night staple for several decades now. While the majority may assume that they’re games played by adults and kids, there are several board games today which appeal to the tastes of seniors.
Regardless of what your age is, you can always find a board game that piques your interest and satiates your thirst for fun. To prove this well, here is a list of the best board games that are designed for baby boomers. Here is a list of games that are best suited for baby boomers.
There are high chances that you’ve already played the game of Monopoly even once in your lifespan. This is in fact one such game that is played by families all throughout the world and baby boomers are also acquainted with this game.
This game is something that is entirely family-friendly and it also evokes a true sense of healthy competition among the members of the family. You’ll simply love the way you can engage with your grandchildren while playing this game and with your friends.
However, the only pitfall is that winning this game can very soon get addictive. So, you shouldn’t be alarmed to see how everyone on the table can get addicted to buying spaces on the game board.
- A classic game which majority are familiar with.
- Perfect for players from eight years of age to the baby boomers of the family.
- Rules are not complicated and hence can be learned very easily.
- Supports anywhere from 2 to 8 players.
- Can be set up and put away easily without hassle.
- The board doesn’t lay properly on the table and hence throwing dice can get shaky.
- Slightly different from the original version.
CHESS WITH FELTED GAME BOARD
This is yet another example of a board game that all have heard of. Chess is the ideal game for sharpening your mind and enhancing your critical thinking ability skills.
Besides the strategy of the gameplay, this is also a lovely-looking board. You could leave it on the table in the form of décor when you’re not playing on it.
The stunning look of this game comes from the fact that it is handmade. Each of the pieces of this set is handcrafted and hence it gives a natural look that you’ll fall in love with.
- Handmade from wood, not plastic.
- Splendid design that makes it suitable for use in the form of décor.
- The board can be folded in half and the pieces can be stored within it.
- Each of the pieces can safeguard the board from scratching.
- The inside of the board has straps that hold the pieces in place.
- There are few reports of the color of the board is lighter actually than what is seen in pictures.
As long as Backgammon is concerned, you just can’t get more classic than this. This is a board game that has existed for more than 5000 years and hence majority have seen it at least once.
Apart from having simple and easy gameplay, one of the best parts of the Backgammon set is that you can store it in a simple way. This board functions both in the form of a board and a box. When this game is over, you have to fold the board halfway and put it away.
Above all, it is a beautiful game. The interior of the board is made of soft felt which is not only pleasant to touch but also softens the sound that the dice makes while hitting on the board.
- Can be stored easily as it can be folded in half.
- The inner part is made of felt that muffles the sound of tossed dice.
- Comes in 2 striking color combinations.
- Is highly portable for travel purposes.
- Has a handle outside for being carried easily.
- Few opine that the quality of the interior is way better than the outer part.
SCRABBLE DELUXE EDITION
Are you a bookworm or are your grandparents’ bookworms? If answered yes, Scrabble is certainly one of the best-played board games that you could ever get.
This is an addictive game of words that is great for teasing your brains till the end of the game. Scrabble is a game that can be played time and again and the games will be different each time you play it.
This board is also a work of art, to be honest. It is not just made of wood but it also has a fine mahogany finish that you can brag about among your friends.
There is also a Susan built into it so that the board can be spun while playing. This ensures easy access to different parts of the board.
- There is a perfect contrast between the tile colors and the letters and this makes it easily readable.
- Fine mahogany finish that gives a similar look of a magazine.
- In-built lazy susan so that you can rotate the board smoothly while playing games.
- The inner part of the board doubles in the form of storage for keeping things.
- Has a nice fabric pouch that has ‘Scrabble’ embroidered on it.
- Few are of the opinion that glue can be seen sticking from the wood in few parts.
POINT GAMES CHECKERS
If you’re looking forward to one of the simplest and most affordable games in the market, this Checkers set is certainly a smart option. Just as some other games mentioned on this list, Checkers is a game that has been in the market for a very long time.
The appeal of this game has been consistent for the entire life of the game. The conventional red and blackboard are interesting while not consuming too much space.
The pieces of this set have grooves all over the edges. This makes it easier to stack when you’re done with playing.
The gameplay is also simple. Players only have to move their pieces to the side of the opponent and try capturing the opposing pieces.
- Can be set up easily.
- Pieces are designed to be stacked.
- The gameplay is simple and easy.
- You just need two players for the game.
- Board and box are foldable and hence portable.
- Doesn’t allow more than 2 players.
- Board is a bit too fragile and thin.
Are you a baby boomer who simply loves the idea of camping? If yes, Cribbage is the ideal board game for you. The small board of this game lets you fit it anywhere, even though you don’t have too much available space.
The peg can fit in tight within the holes of the board. In case, there’s someone who accidentally fidgets it, you don’t have to worry about the pieces getting scattered here and there. It also folds upwards and hence can be fit into any drawer.
This is also a perfect game that enriches your critical thinking skills. This makes it an excellent option for teaching the game to your grandchildren.
- Rules are too simple and can be easily understood.
- The board is flexible enough and can be folded and stored away.
- Since the peg fits into the holds of the board, you don’t have to worry in case you bump the board while playing.
- The game can be played with as few as two players or a maximum of four.
- Once you fold the board, there is not anything to hold it in place. Hence, it can again open up if you don’t lay it down properly.
- Few are of the opinion that the hinges of the board may scratch the table on which you’re playing. It is advised to put something under the board.
To sum up, board games don’t necessarily have to be a game that is usually restrained to kids and young adults. There are numerous board games available in the market that are well-suited for all ages, and this even includes the baby boomers.
We have tried our best to include a different range of games into this list so that each game can satiate the thirst of people of all ages. Start playing them as soon as possible in order to enjoy your evenings.